Police Capture Man After 31 Hour Standoff - ABC5 News Des Moines, IA

Police Capture Man After 31 Hour Standoff

Posted: Updated:

By: Jason Rantala



After 31 long hours, Des Moines Police finally have their man.

Fifty-three–year-old Michael Wayne Reed was finally apprehended, after police say they lured him onto his porch and shot him with a tazer.

This all happened just after midnight on Monday.

The standoff began Saturday and ended early Monday morning.

It saw gunfire with police, while several streets were quardoned off and residents were evacuated.

The events started at 5 p.m. Saturday evening, when officers responded to the 3100 block of  Wright Street in Des Moines.

There they found Reed, unhappy with an exchange of property.

Police later received a call from a third party, reporting Reed as armed and suicidal.

As Reed spoke with officers, police say he became angrier.

That's when Reed went into his house and came out with a shotgun, firing at least one shot at police.

Officers returned fire. Reed was not hit and went back inside the house for several hours.

Authorities quardoned off several blocks near Hull, East 8th Street and East 9th Street, as residents evacuated their homes.

The Metro S.T.A.R. team and negotiators talked with Reed.

The standoff lasted the rest of the night, throughout Sunday and until early Monday morning.

Reed is known for his performances as an Elvis impersonator and friends say he was just sick of being alone.

After being taken into custody, Reed was transported to Broadlawns Hospital to be treated for minor injuries.

He will then be brought to the police station for questioning.

Reed is currently wanted on a misdemeanor Warrant for 1st Degree Harassment.

His additional charges will be determined when he is booked in Polk County Jail.


Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WOI. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.