Fire Blamed On Candles - ABC5 News Des Moines, IA

Fire Blamed On Candles

Posted: Updated:

ABC5 Newsroom

news@myabc5.com

 

WATEROO, Iowa (AP) - Investigators say unattended candles caused a house fire that displaced a Waterloo family from their home.

The fire started Saturday morning and caused an estimated $20,000 in damage.

Waterloo Battalion Chief Mike Jenn says residents won't be able to return to the home for some time. Jenn says the candles were left unattended, and the flames jumped to nearby furnishings. The fire then spread into the attic.

The fire started about 6:30 a.m.

Joseph Warren, a neighbor, says his friend and his friend's mother live together in the home. Both escaped without injury.

 

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WOI. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.